Sunday, November 8, 2009

Tales From the Back Issue Bin #2!

Hello kiddies, it's time for another
Dun Dun Dun
TALES FROM THE BACK ISSUE BIN!!!!

Before I dive head first into today's craptastic issue, I'd like to say that I've finally caught myself up on X-factor. All I have to say about it is 'WOW'. If you've never read the book before, new or old, pick up the trades, believe me, it's worth every penny.

So, from the illustrious $1.00 section, this week's book is:

'Warriors of Plasm' #1

The first thing I noticed about the book was the David Lapham (Stray Bullets, Young Liars) did the cover and interiors. This had me ready for good things. The book was really good until I had to start reading what Jim Shooter had written. The dialogue in this book can be described and one thing, verbal diarrhea. Meaningless conversation panel after panel. I didn't know what was going on until page 10, at least. It comes as a total surprise that Defiant Comics went under, with super high quality books like this. Thank GOD Lapham had a career after this.

So down to why this book sucks, the story is so dumb and pointless it's not even funny. The book starts on the planet Plasm, a living organism that needs to devour other planets to survive. Sounds familiar.... Well, their next target is Earth. So they abduct 5 humans. From Jersey. That's a good way to studies the human race, 5 people from Jersey. They do their tests and set them free. Well, alter their genes, then set them free. You don't see them free on earth at the end of the issue, but they talk about letting them go. The sometimes non-sensible ramblings leave much to be desired in a first issue. While a slightly borrowed idea, not a terrible one. If better written I would have searched out the rest of the series based on the concept alone. It could have been worth to see where it goes, but Shooter just plain ol' sucks the big one.

So, this week I'll give "Warriors of Plasm" #1
1.5 Dio heads out of 5

The book sucked. Plain and simple. The extra half head is only because Lapham's art is extraordinary. That's it. I wish there was more to say other then Jim Shooter sucks.

I really do wish.

Well, stay tuned for the next face melting instalment of:
TALES FROM THE BACK ISSUE BINS!

-Waffle

No comments: