Monday, December 20, 2010

OFF WITH THE TOP OF MY HEAD!!

WHAT UP WORLD!
I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend and those of you who made it down to the store for the three year anniversary had a good time. I know I did. I would like to thank all the creators for coming down and chilling with all of us and having a blast.
This week in comics was nuts, so many good comics to talk about I don't know where to start...


John Byrne's Next Men #1 (31)

Back in 1992, John Byrne "finished" his creator owned book Next Men but never actually finished it. This week he jumps back into the series and does an awesome job of recapping the story and continuing it. A quick recap of what the "Next Men" saw in their VR stations brings new readers up to speed as far as what's happened in the series up until this point and then BAM! you're right back into the thick of it, hungry for the next issue. I'm a huge John Byrne fan and I'm so happy to see him finally back on this book, let alone any book for that matter. I highly recommend this to anyone. If you've never read the series, you should pick up the beautiful hardcovers IDW put out. They're gigantic oversized "coffee table books" as Byrne quoted on his website.

5 out of 5!!



BLACK PANTHER THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR #513

In the wake of Shadowland and Doomwar both Matt Murdock and T'Challa are broken men without a cause who both need a chance at redemption. Matt ask T'Challa to watch over Hell's Kitchen while he heads off on his own quest. He accepts and has Foggy Nelson get him a fake name and identification. Now without any money or powers, T'Challa runs a restaurant in the heart of Hell's Kitchen to get an idea of the people he's protecting.
At the same time, with Shadowland and The Hand defeated there's a fight for control of Hell's Kitchen amongst criminals. Introducing, Vlad The Impaler, a Romanian gangster who was an unwilling participant in the Romanian super soldier program. He hid his powers from the government and now has the ability to charge up and item with kinetic energy..Gambit anyone?
Needless to say, he's now headhunting this new vigilante that's prowling Hell's Kitchen.
I'm glad to see The Black Panther as the new guardian of Hell's Kitchen considering the fact that he and Matt now share the same stories of being on top of everything just to watch it crumble in their faces due to poor decision making. It's nice to see someone link these two characters because I wasn't too happy with the end of either story arc and for them now to both be on a journey at redeeming themselves is just smart writing. I think everyone should check this book out because it's the beginning to a great new story and a new life for both of these characters.

5 out of 5


MASSIVE AWESOME #2

I reviewed issue one when it came out and I honestly didn't care for it. I thought Stephen Lindsay could have done a better job as far as a first issue was concerned BUT now that I've had the chance to read issue two, I officially get to eat my words. Issue two was super funny, over the top and just plain funny. Bacon and Pickle head to Ireland to find out who sent the killer robots after them last issue to find out that Bacon's former buddy, Shamus El Ganador, the worlds smartest, and most dangerous Scottish Luchador. After a quick and funny battle, Bacon comes to find out that Dr. Sexysauce is the one who's really after him.
I love these characters now. Pickle's ridiculous rambles and "conversations" with Bacon are just so silly that you can't help but laugh out loud and ask for me.
I gladly eat my words and can't wait for the next installment of this buddy-action comedy.

5 out of 5!


FUBAR!!

I reviewed this book a couple of months back but after this weekend I can't help myself but tell you about it again. 16 stories all based around World War 2 with a zombie twist. This book is nothing short of awesome. Between the artwork and the masterful storytelling, you need this book on your shelf. Jeff McComsey and company really turned this out like no other. Independently created and produced, it's already sold out at Diamond of the distributor level. I highly suggest you get a copy as soon as possible. I have a feeling this book is going to be going for some serious bucks in the near future.
Jeff McComsey, Stephen Lindsay, Steve Becker and Dominic Vivona were here at the store this past Friday doing a signing and hanging out for the 3 year anniversary and let me tell you it was probably one of my favorite signings. They not only brought their A-game as far as doing sketches but they also brought the FUBAR TENT! chock full of pins and Zombie Target Posters.
These dudes, love comics and hanging out. If you ever get the chance to catch them at a store signing or a convention, do yourself a favor and go check them out. Seriously cool guys and a ton of fun to just hang out and b.s with.
head over to their site and pick up some stuff and drop them a line!

http://www.zombiefubar.wordpress.com/

5 out of 5!!

No comments: