Tuesday, December 7, 2010

OFF WITH THE TOP OF MY HEAD!!

WHAT UP WORLD!!

Wow, what can I say, The Walking Dead huh..does anyone else who reads the comic feel completely cheated and really wish that the show stayed a lot closer to the comic instead of going off into la-la land?? Yeah, me too. I'm a huge fan of the book, to the point that I have a Walking Dead tat on my right hand, that's devotion. I had really high hopes for this show as well as serious concerns that the show wasn't going to live up to the name, not just the comic and it's history. After watching every episode every Sunday night faithfully, I sat down and re-watched the entire series from start to finish with the hopes that being such a huge fan and with the mind frame that it only shares the name of my favorite comic, that I might actually enjoy it as a zombie series and be able to look past the changes and new scenarios that were created for the series... Wrong!
I'm sorry but even as a television series, the show lacks that punch that the book delivers. The lack of fear of the unknown as well as the drama of surviving in a world without hope instead of constant action and reaction sequences makes the show lose all it's luster. I can sit here and bash the show for hours, I'm not going to impose my slighted view of the series on you. If you enjoyed it good for you, if not, then let's hope and pray that next season sticks closer to the book or gets a better writing staff, since they were all fired before this season ended.

Now with that said, I'd like to move on to reviewing some comics.





Generation Hope #1&2

I had really high hopes for this new X-series since the build up to it has been nothing short of awesome. Hope has grown not only in age but as a character, from a scared little girl lost in time to a serious soldier with a mission. The lead in issues of Uncanny X-Men were great, almost very similar to the same build up to one of my favorite books of the 90's; Generation X.
Now comes the series itself and I'm sad to say that I'm really not digging it. The team is out and about collecting the "Five Lights", five new mutants that need Hope to help them get that last push toward unlocking their latent mutant abilities. Thus far Hope has helped four out of the five and now the team is on their way to Tokyo to gather up the last mutant who has already hit mutant puberty. The big shock is this character is pretty much AKIRA!
I was caught off guard at first and I didn't know what to make of it but then with the second issue, I really came to the conclusion that I really am not digging this series so far and I think that Kieron Gillen must have recently read or watched AKIRA and thought "gee that would be a great mutant for my new book.."
The past two issues have been dealing with this one mutant, his destructive nature and his twisted insight into his artwork. At this point, I'm hoping that they either figure out that this kid isn't meant to become a member of the team and they stop him or help him get his "Akira powers" under control and move on, there is so much potential for this cast that sitting still, so to speak, for two issues instead of jumping in and grabbing a new member of the team or not, like the others, just seems silly and wasting time. I'm not looking for instant gratification, but I am looking for a quick progression into the team dynamic and moving along into what these teens mean to the mutant species as a whole and what their sudden arrival really means.
Overall thus far, I'm disappointed with this series and I hope with issue three, Kieron Gillen picks up the ball and runs for the goal. The characters are great and the possible scenario's are there, now it's just a matter of making it happen.

2 out of 5


I'm curious to know what you think of my reviews and rants..hit me up and let me know what you're thoughts on the books I talk about are.. hit me up or come catch me at the store hanging out sucking down coffee.
GoreJones@gmail.com

No comments: