Monday, October 18, 2010

OFF WITH THE TOP OF MY HEAD!!

WHAT UP WORLD!

Another week goes by and another GIANT stack of comics hits the shelves. A lot of really great stuff came out this week. I really have no complaints. There's so much to talk about in such a small space I really don't even know where to begin. I'll just take a stab at it and see how it goes...



SHADOWLAND #4 (OF 5)

With this mini series almost over and the fate of NYC and Daredevil coming to a climax, our favorite Man without fear is now completely consumed by the entity known as "The Beast". He's already called martial law on the streets with a curfew for the citizens of the city and has lifted his law of "no killing". Things are really out of control and with everything in dismay, now is the time for our heroes to make their move and see what the final outcome will be. The Punisher, Luke Cage, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Master Izo, Shang-Chi and Elektra make a last ditch effort to either save Daredevil and defeat "The Beast" or to kill Daredevil and damn his soul. All while this is going on The Kingpin and Lady Bullseye are making moves of their own. Kingpin has diligently been waiting for everything to basically fall apart so that he can walk in a reclaim his place atop NYC.
The cover throws you off because you think that Bullseye is going to resurrected but Elektra and company thwart the ceremony and stop him from coming back..Thank God, I was excited to see Bullseye come back but with the amount of characters returning from the dead I'm glad he HASN'T come back YET.
This series has been nothing but stellar from start to near finish up until this point. My only gripe is that Marvel leaked that Daredevil is going to die and that The Black Panther is going to be taking over his book as the new "Man Without Fear". I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that but we'll see in due time.

5 out of 5


SUPERIOR #1

Simon Pooni was a normal kid until he was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, which is a very horrible and debilitating disease. He lives an average life and makes the best of his situation. His favorite superhero is Superior. One night Simon wakes up to find a strange monkey in his room who grants him one wish..his one wish is to be Superior.
Another Mark Millar masterpiece all set to be turned into a film just like the rest of his creator owned projects. This story is very simple and to the point, as a first issue it nailed everything on the head from the get go. There's nothing to complain about at all. The mystery of the monkey and his "one wish" powers is/was great. I can't wait to see what happens next and of course I strongly suggest that everyone goes out and cops a copy of this book now before it disappears and becomes worth some serious dough to get a hold of.
Leinil Yu's artwork is awesome as always. His tones and facial expression really make the book that much more interesting to read.
Overall I really have high hopes for these characters and this story.

5 out of 5


UNTOLD TALES OF BLACKEST NIGHT

I must say, when I first heard about this book I wasn't too impressed, I just kinda felt like DC was milking Blackest Night for one more story and it would have some outrageous secret to Brightest Day. WRONG! This comic was Awesome! It gives the background stories behind what happened to Ragman during Blackest Night, it tells us what really went on after Donna Troy was bitten by her "zombie" son, it tells us how Scarecrow got his yellow ring and last but certainly not least, it tells us what went on with Animal Man during the whole event.
Every story was really fun and enlightening. It picked up at a point where we the reader had no knowledge as to what was going on in the these particular characters lives during Blackest Night and just filled in the blanks up until they showed up in the Blackest Night series itself.
I personally loves the Scarecrows story not only because the story itself was beefy and really gave you a sense of just how much he longs to be afraid and that in his twisted mind, he's not really doing what he does to scare or kill people but to really put fear back into himself. The best thing about this story though was Brett Booth's amazing artwork. I've been a fan of his for years and seeing him rock the crap out of The Scarecrow was really a treat and thrill. I hope he gets more work for one of the big two and gets put on a monthly already.

5 out of 5


Edge Of Doom #1

This issue reminded me of the movie "The Pit". It's a story about a man who gets attacked by little demons who creep up out a whole in his yard. The story is simple and to the point yet enjoyable and pretty laughable. Steve Nile and Kelley Jones really rock together and I'm glad to finally see them working together again on something good..(Batman: Gotham after midnight..2 thumbs down!)
Any fan of horror and a good story should really check this out.

4 out of 5



X-MEN #4

I'll be honest, I lied when I said I didn't have anything to complain about..I do. This storyline sucks and I'm not just saying that because it's a Vampire story. This story so far has been boring and really uneventful. "The Death Of Dracula" one shot was really good and very well composed..this "tie in" I guess you would call it, stinks. Wolverine and Jubilee have both been turned into Vampires and now Xanus is trying to compare Mutants to Vampires. Yes, they are both on the verge of extinction and yes, people hate and fear them but those are the only similarities that they share. Overall, I really feel like Marvel is trying to cash in on another pop culture fad with this storyline. I'm sorry..how do you go from Messiah War to this nonsense and still attempt to keep readers.
Overall I suggest you either tough it out and see what happens or wait for the trade or even better just skip this storyline altogether.

1 out of 5

No comments: